Sunday, May 4

Out of sorts


I woke up this morning completely out of sorts. I didn't know what day it was or where I was. I was sort of in a panic because I'm going to San Francisco this week but couldn't remember if I was leaving on Monday or Tuesday. Because I didn't know what day it was, I sort of freaked out. I was so relieved to find it was Sunday, I could sleep in and I didn't have to rush to an airport. Once I got up I decided to call our office travel center and have them email my itinerary to my home address so I'd know what was coming this week. Turns out I leave for San Fran tomorrow afternoon and return Tuesday night. I've already checked in to my flight and am feeling much more in control now.

I won't be traveling again until June. There is a big trade show going on and half of my division packs up for New York that week. It's probably the most fun week to be in New York because I'm literally running into friends at every turn. We all stay in the same hotel so I can go to the bar or restaurant day or night and have somebody to have a drink or a meal with. I'm not a big drinker, much to my co-workers dismay, but I will have a cocktail or two while in New York because there is no way I'll be driving.

As usual I'm preoccupied with figuring out if I'll have an evening to myself. If I do, I'm dying to see the recently opened revival of South Pacific. It's not a show I'm particularly in love with but it's a classic and it's getting rave reviews. I don't think I've ever seen The New York Times or The New Yorker freak out so much over a show. I don't ordinarily pay attention to reviews, but there is a lot of buzz around the woman playing Bloody Mary. I saw an interview with her and I'm now pretty much obsessed with seeing her in this show. She was a singer in Hawaii with no professional experience beyond weddings and banquets. The producers of South Pacific went to Hawaii for casting and asked her to come to Broadway. Needless to say she was thrilled and is now in shock to be performing at Lincoln Center. She's got a fantastic voice and, they say, has got a good chance of winning a Tony. The show has been extended to January 4th but I want to get in before the Tony Awards because it will be and even tougher ticket to come by after the awards start rolling in.

There is big meeting tomorrow right before I have to leave for the airport. We expect news of a huge re-org (reorganization) of our division. It should be an interesting morning. I just hope I can stay with my current boss. I feel I'm at my best with her. I've been busy covering two positions lately but I think we've found a good candidate to fill one of them. Hopefully she'll accept our offer and take half of my work load off my hands. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: