Wednesday, May 14

So that's what good reporting sounds like...


I get my news each morning by means of NPR. I have a radio in my bathroom and I listen to Morning Edition while I race around getting ready for my day. I find that I'm way ahead of the average bear by the time I get to work every day because of this habit.

I also read the Sunday edition of the NY Times and dabble in the LA Times when I have time. If I want more info on a particular story I go online and search, or check out CNN or, for a completely fresh POV, watch BBC World News. Newshour with Jim Lehrer is another outstanding news source that actually spends time on it's stories, as does the BBC, a rare practice in this country. On the way home from work each day I listen to All Things Considered. I find these sources to cover most of my needs but I take them for granted. However, every once in a while a story really hits me hard and I 'm reminded of what good reporting looks and sounds like.

I knew some of the best and earliest coverage of the earthquake in China was coming from NPR because two of it's top reporters were in China when the quake hit. Melissa Block recently turned in an outstanding piece of reporting about a couple desperately searching for their two-year-old son and the woman's parents in the rubble of their apartment building. I was moved to tears almost immediately while listening to this story on way way home from work this evening. As difficult as it is to hear some stories I feel strongly that we owe it to people to listen to them. The couple in this story is living this terrible experience, the least we can do is listen to them and send prayers, best wishes, good mojo, money or whatever it is you believe in. Ms. Block does her job by being respectful while trying to remain impartial but it's clear that this story is getting to her. She does a wonderful job under a terrible set of circumstances.

It's so easy for us to go on with our day and forget all about what's happening far away in other countries. It's even easier when a government isn't allowing reporters to bring stories to the rest of the world as is the case in Myanmar. I know we can't all curl up in the fetal position and obsess on these tragedies. I know we all have responsibilities and lives to lead but do we really need to waste time watching stories on the Cannes Film Festival? Is Access Hollywood really necessary? Doesn't it all seem so silly considering what's happening in the world these days? Don't get me wrong, I love tv and a good film as much as the next gal, but these days I'm really turned off by celebrity and fame. How does a celebrity show up to a film opening in a $5,000 dress when the world is in such terrible shape? I understand contracts and commitments with studios but good grief. They must feel like such idiots knowing it's all so pointless and distracting.

I don't mean to be such a downer but I'm really upset by it all. But don't listen to me. Listen to the story.

*stepping off soap box*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No. Stay on your soapbox. I like it! Great post!!!