Wednesday, May 7

Whiplash


So, remember how happy I was with my job yesterday? I'm not so happy about it today. We heard about the re-org (reorganization) and it's a biggie. All of our jobs are being redefined. I don't know what my job description will be, what I'll be working on or who I will report to. I've been with my company for about 7 years now so I know a lot of people. That's the good news. The bad news is that I know enough to dread the thought of working with some of them. Even worse, working for some of them. Everyone is completely freaking out. Possibly the worst part is that we won't have any sort of definitive answer on this until about August or September.

I really like the boss I have now. I do my best work under her. I also like the categories I currently work on. I'm tired of others that I've worked on forever. I'm really hoping to work on something new but with my current boss. The odds don't look too good on that these days. I've been through re-orgs before, several in fact, but this one feels scary. This re-org touches pretty much everyone I know in our division. I already know of some friends who will likely move to another division when this is said and done. I've thought of doing the same but my current chain of bosses have listed me as "High Potential" (meaning they have classified me as "highly promotable"... whatever that means) and I don't think I want to mess with that. All this really means is that I have to keep kicking butt in my ever expanding current role and brace myself for an entirely new list of responsibilities in a few months. I'm trying to stay positive and think about how all of this means more focus for everyone. Then my mind wanders and the panic sets in.

*sigh* God give me strength.

So, how does a working girl handle this kind of stress? She's goes to Target during her lunch break and buys P.S. I love You (which I loved) and 27 Dresses (sight unseen). In the mean time, I ordered The Godfather and The Godfather Part II from Amazon and they arrived today! I'm now off to wash my face, brush my teeth, put on my pjs and get into bed to watch my new movies.

No comments: