Saturday, May 30

Lately


I haven't had much to say lately that's why I haven't posted much.  I still don't have a lot to report but I would like to recommend Up.  I saw it yesterday with Shandon and adored it.  It will absolutely make you cry but it will also crack you up.  At one point Shandon and I were laughing so hard we couldn't sit up straight.  I had to remove my 3-D glasses to wipe away my tears of laughter.  It was wonderful.  No, you do not have to have a kid with you to enjoy this one.  Treat yourself and go with or without a child.  Either way you'll have a blast.  

I haven't been reading much in the past week but I did start a great new book called The Indifferent Stars Above.  It's a really good new spin on the Donner party ordeal.  My nephew is in the fourth grade and just finished learning about the Donner party.  When I asked him what he thought he sort of sighed and said "well yeah, it was sad."  What?!  He's right but that's certainly not the reaction I had when I learned about it.  I just recall thinking "Cool!" and "Finally some interesting history.  It's about time!"  

You're probably wondering how on earth there could be a new spin on the Donner party story right?  Well, I'm telling you this one goes into details I've never read about before.  The author goes through the physiological aspects of what the party went through.  What starvation feels like, what your brain is doing when you're deprived of warmth, food and water.  He goes into the hygiene of life on the trail and the politics going on between the families and lots of other great details I've never heard about before.  It's fascinating stuff.

I'm also re-watching True Blood.  I pre-ordered the DVDs a while ago and was pleasantly surprised to find them unexpectedly waiting for me one day after work.  I left the set alone until today.  This afternoon I suddenly decided I should watch them with the audio commentaries on.  It's been a lot of fun.

In other news, I've been a having trouble sleeping.  Last night was weird.  I was sleepy very early in the evening and struggled to stay awake past 9:00.  I eventually threw in the towel, put on my pjs, washed my face and went to bed.  I discovered that my Tivo hadn't updated for a while due to my remote device being folded shut.  I spent some time adding things to my Wishlist and picking out new things to record.  Anyone else excited about Nurse Jackie?  I am!  TCM has had some really good stuff showing lately so that's a lot of what's waiting for me in my Tivo's "Now Playing" list.  Anyway, I spent some time flipping through channels but found myself repeatedly falling asleep for about a half hour then waking again for a half hour then zonking out again over and over again.  I watched Jay Leno's last Tonight Show but afterwards wound up on the National Geographic Channel watching things like Solo: Lost at Sea,  Left For Dead: Miracle on Everest and Explorer: Mysteries of Survival.   Eventually it was 3:00 am and I was really tired.  I flipped channels some more and fell to sleep but had to get up early for a hair appointment.  I'm hoping to get a bit more sleep tonight.  I'm thinking I should avoid the stressful survival stuff.  I can't help it though.  True stories of survival fascinate me. Guess that's why I'm still enjoying that Donner party book.   Then again, after dipping into True Blood again I have a feeling I'll be finishing my Sookie Stackhouse books.  Those are sort of stories of survival right?

No comments: