Thursday, December 30

Just call me AwesomeSauce

I probably mentioned this before but, about a year ago when I was suffering from some serious work related stress, I saw my doctor to discuss how to best manage it all. In a nutshell, my doc told me to start walking and chill out. He told me no job was worth risking my health over. My blood pressure was rising but he said he preferred to treat the stress not the way my body was reacting to it. He prescribed Prozac for a long term solution and Ativan for a quick acting stress reliever. I declined the Prozac, because I'm a big chicken, but I took the Ativan. I may be stressed but I'm not stupid.

Well, I've had that original bottle of nerve pills all this time (that's what we call Ativan around these parts... "Nerve Pills"). With the exception of the first week or so following Dad's death I pretty much ignored the nerve pills except when I really needed sleep. Every once in a while, when I can't get my mind to shut up, I find a nerve pill before bedtime can be very helpful.

As for work lately, I've been on pins and needles awaiting word on where my next assignment will be. Over Thanksgiving vacation I received a call from the big boss telling me there would be changes and that I would hear all about them in January. I was fine with this at the time but it eventually started to grate on my nerves. Finally, last Tuesday morning, I marched into my SVP's office and said "Everyone around here seems to know where they're going but me. Can you tell me what's going on?" He was great and asked me to sit down as he explained all the shifts to our team. They all made perfect sense to me and he finally told me where I would be going. I was thrilled to hear that I would be going to a team that works on things I'm interested in and with a group of really great people. Frankly, it felt like the clouds parted as he told me the news. I was SO relieved.

In other news, I've been losing weight and even got into a pair of jeans I haven't been able to get into for over a year. Most importantly, I'm hoping this means I can soon get off the blood pressure meds I've been on for the past 3 months. Actually, I take two meds for the problem: One to treat the blood pressure, the other to treat the water retention often associated with high blood pressure.

Which, finally, brings me to the interesting part of my story: Guess who mixed up her meds and just discovered she's been taking a daily, pre-work nerve pill instead of a diuretic every morning? Yup, me! For how long you ask? Oh, about 9 days or so. No wonder it was so easy to march into the big boss's office demanding news. I am such a spaz and, apparently, a junkie.

I've been so tired and mellow all week, now I know why. I suppose I should be grateful that I didn't try to make-out with Jeffrey, the 60-something guard who scans my badge every morning. Jesus Christ!!!


shandon said...

I wish there was a "Like" button I could press for this entry.

kb said...

You never fail to make me laugh...I guess that's why we've been friends for so long!