Friday, April 29

I can see clearly (despite multiple head injuries)


I went in for my annual eye exam today. I visited a new doctor that a friend recommended. I'm so glad I did. It was far and away the most thorough eye exam I've ever had.

When I first did the eye chart the doctor was perplexed by the fact that my left eye is weaker that my right. I told her it had this way for as long as I could remember. I had long accepted it but, for some reason, she thought it strange. *shrug*

After some discussion, we decided to dilate my eyes since I've had blood pressure issues this past year. Its all under control now but one can't be too safe.

Doc: Hmm...
Me: ...
Doc: Umm...I've...never...
Me: What?
Doc: ... I've never... seen anything... quite like this before.
Me: What do you see?! (increasingly alarmed)
Doc: Well...
Me: ...
Doc: Have you ever had any head trauma?
Me: What?! No!
Doc: Oh, it's nothing to worry about. It's just...
Me: Yes?
Doc: You have some debris in your lens. Nobody's ever mentioned this to you?
Me: No.
Doc: Hmm. Well, it's very apparent. There are spots on the lens of your eye.
Me: ...
Doc: So... no car accidents or anything like that?
Me: Well, I did fall off a rope swing when I was a kid. My friends dragged me to my backyard and left me for dead. I eventually came to and wandered into the house to lie down. I don't think I mentioned it to parents.
Doc: ...
Me: I also crashed into my brother's best friends' older brother on our bikes. I blacked out. Oh! There was that time I slipped on a Christmas wrapping bag in my room, fell back and had the wind knocked out of me. So... maybe?
Doc: Umm... those could ALL be considered potential head injures.
Me: Well, it was the seventies. It was all about "walk it off" back then. I loved being a kid in the seventies!
Doc: *laughing and shaking her head*

SO, it seems I knocked myself senseless at some point and jack up my left eye. Who knew? The doctor is going to do some research on my spotty eye and get back to me. She was also able to see that I had high blood pressure but that it was under control. She also knew that I had allergies and asked if my eyes had been itchy. It was funny because just yesterday my eyes were incredibly itchy. I didn't know what the problem was. Turns out allergies were bugging me. I got a sample of some fun new eye drops to help with the problem.

I also got some (I think) cool new frames. Of course, it's hard to tell. It's hard to pick glasses with dilated eyes. You can't see a damn thing so you kind of have to guess and assume they look good. We'll see.

I love my new doctor. Best of all, they had owls all over the office. Remember my owl post from a while back? Well, I took the owl thing as a very good sign. I quickly told them why I like owls so much and that I consider every sighting a little wink from Daddy. I'm so happy to finally have a good eye doc.

They were playing Billie Holiday when I arrived... another excellent sign of great compatibility. I asked if they were playing satellite radio and she said that they just use GrooveShark. I'd never heard of it before. It's like Pandora but better because you can pick songs and build your own playlists. It's great! Thanks new friend and doctor. We're now life long buds. :)

No comments: