Saturday, August 4

More Musical theater please


I just got home from seeing Jersey Boys. What fun!!! If you have a chance to see this one you really should. If you don't know, it's the story of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons (as the poster promises). I've never considered myself a big Four Seasons fan, but I am now. This isn't some lame-juke-box-show where some weak story line is created just to tie known hits together. No, this one tells the great story of four Jersey boys and their rags to riches story. I love these guys.

I've been meaning to see it for ages but it finally made it's way to LA and I'm so happy it did. Not only was it a good time but it's a technical marvel. I've never seen a busier first act in my life. There must be 10,000 marks on the stage. Blocking it all out must be the biggest nightmare ever. Luckily, it's a seamless show with fantastic characters and amazing music. Check it out... I'm tellin' ya.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd recommend it for kids though. There's lots of colorful language and the subject matter can get a bit racy. Once you dumped the kiddies though, it's a damn good time. It's an interesting crowd too. Michelle Philips picked up her will call tix next to us. The man behind us was with his pre-teen son. When Walk Like a Man kicked in I could hear him enthusiastically proclaim "God! This is such a great song." I saw an older man with an old school anchor tattoo on his forearm. When was the last time you saw that? Have you EVER seen that?! I'm not talking some sissy four color tattoo the kids are so fond of today, I'm talking an old fashioned Navy variety ink job. Just like Popeye! I saw the typical (for California anyway) old rich guy with disturbingly young date... an no, it wasn't his daughter. This eclectic group made up one of the best audiences I've ever participated in. This crowd loved it and the enthusiasm was contagious.

So that's tonight. I'll have more musical theater to discuss after tomorrow night. I know you just can't wait .

Oh, and just in case you're thinking "Sheesh, is there a musical this chick doesn't like?" Well, the answer is yes. For the record, I HATED The Ten Commandments starring Val Kilmer. I was ready to open a vein or poke my eyes out just to make it stop. So there.

This poster is not worthy of being shown in the same post as Jersey Boys but I'm placing it here as proof that it existed. I'd have no problem testifying that The Ten Commandments Musical was in fact the worst evening of "entertainment" I've ever had to endure. And if your saying "Well, hell I coulda told you that." I know, but I'm an open minded kinda gal and a friend got a free ticket so it seemed worth the obvious risk. Let's just say you get what you pay for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for musical theater! I got to see "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" 3 weeks ago and loved it. Later this month I am going to see Spamalot. Should be a hoot! I'm taking a little break from the Broadway in Portland series after that until late in the Spring when they are having something else I want to see: "Avenue Q"!