Thursday, April 10

In NYC

I flew with Delta today and really liked it. Apparently the 737s from LAX to JFK (and visa versa) are all former "Song" planes. Remember those? I'd never been on one until today but I dig 'em for a couple of reasons: 1) they actually offer a selection of freebie snacks (unlike United) and 2) the individual monitor in the seat in front of me. I was able to watch live television and a selection of movies. I watched both I Am Legend and There Will Be Blood. Two very downer choices, I realize, but I liked them more than I would have guessed. On the way home I'll be watching lighter films like Martian Child or maybe August Rush. I've seen a bunch of the other offerings. All in all, it was a decent flight. I'm apparently easily bought by a couple of ginger snaps and movies. Oh, and the best part was that I checked in online yesterday and selected an aisle seat in an otherwise empty row and it remained empty for me today. Woo hoo!!

I'm staying in a new hotel. The room is tiny, but it's New York so I'm not surprised. It's very nicely decorated and even has a iHome station so I can listen to my iPod on speakers. I ordered some dinner, which was good, except it took an hour to arrive. I was, however, annoyed by my "Mixed fruit and berries plate". It was $12 (you heard me) and was four small slices each of cantaloupe, honeydew melon and pineapple and NO berries. That's a ridiculous price for a fruit plate but a couple of trips ago the same (ludicrous) price got me the best fruit bowl I've ever had. Don't you hate ordering fruit and getting melon? It's the loser fruit that always annoys.

After dinner, I decided to take a quick shower. Unfortunately my room does not seem to be hooked up to a water heater. I've learned that you often have to let water run for about 5 minutes to get hot water in these old buildings. It kills my poor California-girl-water-saving heart but must be done. Well, I let that water run for about 20 minutes before I realized I'd be taking a damn cold shower. It made me very cranky. I called downstairs and asked that someone come up tomorrow, while I'm gone, and fix it. If I have to take another cold shower tomorrow night I'll freak. It's now 11:45 pm and I have to be in the lobby at 7:00 am. I'm finally getting tired.

I'll let you know about MOMA tomorrow!

No comments: