Tuesday, January 30

Put down the crack pipe


One of my all time favorite lines from a movie is from Moonstruck. Olympia Dukakis' character turns to her father-in-law, seated at the dinner table, and says "Old man, you give any more of my food to those dogs and I'll kick you 'til you're dead." Her matter of fact delivery and his expression are priceless.

Today, it took everything I had to not say that to a client. They continue to ask for something I CAN NOT get for them. Every time I explain they are making an unrealistic request they respond with "We'll talk about it tomorrow." I then say "In an effort to manage expectations, I need to tell you that won't be happening." They reply with "Ok, we'll explain our request more tomorrow." I came this close to saying "You might as well ask me to call the Pope for a private prayer."

My question is this: Is there a nice way to say "Ask me one more time and I'll kick you 'til you're dead."?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've known you long enough to know exactly how much self-control this must have taken to not reach over and slap this client. Love the movie, too. The other line I love is "I ain't no freakin' monument to justice!" Classic!

shandon said...

Why be nice? These folks sound clueless. If you're going to steal a line from MOONSTRUCK, I say, give 'em a slap and yell, "Snap out of it!"