Monday, January 1

So sick



I woke up yesterday morning with a terrible stomach flu. Ugh! I'd been fine the day before, then it hit me hard. At first I thought it was my body punishing me for eating so much during the holidays but, eventually, it became clear that I had a bug. It felt like I had needles in my stomach. At one point it even hurt to lie down. I just sat up in my reading chair with my new blanket wrapped around me.

I was incredibly achy last night so I took a couple of Tylenol PMs. Because I'd slept through much of yesterday I was still awake at 1:00 am. When I finally fell asleep I fell hard and didn't wake up until past 9:00 am. That is unusual for me. I was sleeping so deeply that I missed the Stealth Bombers that passed over our house after cruising the Rose Parade route. Dang it!

When I finally woke up this morning, I felt 100% better. I just sat up and thought "What the hell was that all about?!" I didn't eat all day yesterday so I guess that's one way to kick off a New Year's diet.

The biggest bummer is that I was supposed to go to the Rose Parade with my niece, nephew, sil and her mom among others. I had to drop out last night because the thought of sitting with no known restroom in the vicinity was not going to work. I had been looking forward to seeing the parade because my nephew is a huge Star Wars fan and George Lucas was to be Master of Ceremonies. Mostly I wanted to see the Storm Troopers march. I read about them in the paper and had to see the guys who travelled from around the world. (They apparently re-enact battles from Star Wars films. It's a level of geekdom that's so beyond nerdy it can only be admired.)

I've only been to the Rose Parade once, which is considered unusual since I've lived in the Pasadena area for most of my life. In fact, whenever someone asks where I live I tell them to think Rose Parade/Rose Bowl. I live in those Foothills and especially LOVE to point it out to smug East Coasters. This is the day that most reminds me why I still live here. The fact that I can walk out to the orange tree, by the pool, in bare feet, and pick an Orange off the tree for breakfast is my favorite part of Southern California living.

I've watched the Rose Parade every year for as long as I can remember. It's a pretty big deal around here. I'm always so annoyed with people who don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention it. It's the mother of all parades, people! And for the record, the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade is child's play compared to ours. Also, to see it in person is an extraordinary experience. You can't imagine the wonderful scent from all of those flowers.

Oh well, guess 'll have to catch it next year.

Here's to a great 2007!!

3 comments:

shandon said...

Lucy! I can't believe you missed the parade. I heard the Stealth bombers fly overhead as I was making coffee this morning, signaling the moment I'd better get to the TV so I could watch Bob Eubanks make an ass of himself yet again.

Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better

thomsinger said...

Didn't you ever camp out overnight at the Rose Parade when we were in high school? You have not lived until you slept with your head on the curb on Colorado Blvd. Granted, I would NEVER do that now....nor would I allow my kids to go without me (what were my parents thinking...did they not know that we were 16 and had booze?)