Friday, April 13

Yippee!


I absolutely love this night. It's almost midnight and I'm still lookin' up stuff online and generally wasting time and staying up too late. The best part is that I don't have to get up at any particular time tomorrow morning. Oh, I have some errands to run but the timing is entirely up to me. This rarely happens and I couldn't be happier about it.

My day was pretty good too. I got ready for my trip to NYC and wrapped up some other things. Then my sis-in-law and the kids dropped by for a visit. I showed them around the building and introduced them to some friends. We then went to The Lot for a tour. (I generally don't like to talk about where I work but I can tell you, that I work for a movie studio. I don't make movies but I am a tiny wheel in a giant studio machine you are familiar with.) I first took them to the commissary for lunch. The kids seemed very impressed with the idea of filling out a form, clipping it to a spinning chef's wheel then having a nice man hand them a plain ham on white sandwich. While eating out on the patio area, my nephew stated "I love this place!" to no one in particular. After lunch I showed them some storyboards, artwork and some minor landmarks. I then walked them down a "fake street" and by a few sound stages. Little man was particularly intrigued by the giant slabs of styrofoam stacked outside the enormous sound stage doors. I explained that they can make rocks, walls and whatever out of the stuff as long as it was well painted. (I hope this small dose of movie-making magic doesn't ruin it for them.) We ended our little tour at the studio store where they each picked out a new video game with my discount. (Tip: If ou want to help a kid with math, breifly explain a 30% discount and watch how fast they catch on.) I wasn't sure the kids would like walking around the Lot but they did. My sis-in-law seemed to enjoy it as well. All in all it was a good day. Hope you had a good one too.

No comments: