Monday, May 28

Duh duh...duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh doodledee!!!


Today I stumbled upon the Jaws-a-thon showing all day on Encore. Over and over they aired Jaws, Jaws II, Jaws III and Jaws: The Revenge. Personally, I don't give a hoot about anything after Jaws.

I was enjoying the famous scar comparison scene when my niece (5) and nephew (8) walked in. I asked Little Man if he'd ever seen Jaws and was horrified to hear he'd only seen Jaws II but not the original. *GASP* There is something wrong in this world when an 8 year old boy hasn't seen Jaws. Mom waked in and scolded me for letting the kids watch it. When I told her she'd taken my brother and I to see it when we were about the same age as the kids, she insisted that my bro and I had seen it in Jr. High School. Like every other reasonable person in the world, we saw Jaws in the summer of '75. That means I was 9 and my bro was 7 and it was great. I still remember standing in line to see it at the "big theater" and the 2 hour wait was so worth it.

I wandered off for a while leaving the kids to watch the movie. I later overheard my brother say to the kids "OH! Best part! The shark bites the Captain in half... its great!" A few of us crowded in my bedroom to watch "the best part". I'd forgotten about the blood spurting out of Quint's mouth as he's chomped in half. Yuck! Probably not the best thing to let Little Miss see. She quickly learned to stay out of the room when "that music" was on. Smart kid.

Later, Mom went on to describe the opening scene in graphic detail. Sheesh! Because it was a Jaws-a-thon, Little Man got to see that famous scene right before they left for home. He kept watching and didn't want to leave. Thank God! I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't liked Jaws. Seriously, it's a deal breaker.

I look forward to stalking the kids around the house glumly repeating "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

I'm now watching it again and have decided that anyone who whines that Spielberg isn't all that great, can stick it. As far as I'm concerned anyone having anything to do with the making of Jaws is ok in my book.

In honor of that (and the following bi-centennial) summer, I'm making this hat for my brother. He'd asked for it a while ago but I didn't think I could do it. I'm now confident that it can be done. He's requested a Pabst Blue Ribbon theme. I don't suppose anyone out there will drink the beer for me? I asked my dad and he wrinkled his nose in distaste at the offer. Looks like I'll be pouring the stuff down the drain but it's for a good cause: to make my brother look like a jackass on the Fourth of July. Sign me up!

1 comment:

shandon said...

JAWS is the best movie. Ever. And I humbly admit to a lack of hatred for JAWS 3D... it's not good, exactly, but it's sorta fun.