Sunday, May 27

A Memorial Day PSA



I'm a reasonably patriotic person. I say reasonable because I'm not blindly patriotic. I don't think we are always right and everyone else is always wrong. I believe we hold ourselves to a higher standard and when we lower those standards we lower the standards of the world. I believe our country is a great experiment in democracy and I'm usually proud of where I come from. I feel it's our duty to question our government and keep an eye on it. We should never forget just who the politicians work for.

But I'm not here to bitch about current affairs. I'm here to bitch about a pet peeve that has tormented me most of my life. My problem? Flag etiquette. Somewhere along the line (probably after the sixties) well meaning Americans threw flag etiquette out the window. I learned about it, by the third grade, in school.

So, once and for all, here are some of the rules for displaying the American flag. There is a law in place outlining the display and care of the flag. If you're interested in the details, here is the Flag Code. Will you get arrested for messing up the rules? Unless you're really asking for it, probably not. It's mostly a matter of respect. So, if in celebration of Memorial Day you plan to be a drunken-freaky-flag-waving-American, at least get it right.

For instance, most folks know the flag shouldn't touch the ground but did you know it's supposed to be illuminated at all times while displayed? People, for the love of God (and country) take your flag down when the sun sets. Unless you have an artificial light source for your flag, ya gotta take it down when it gets dark.

Again, I don't tend to be a flag waving freak but for God's sake could we all please do this right? It's a simple request. I'm begging y'all... please!

No comments: