Thursday, October 25

A few of my favorite things

So, I celebrated my 41st birthday this week. Looking back, I can now say that turning 40 wasn't so bad but, somehow, turning 41 seemed worse. I guess it's because I'm no longer just dipping my toe in my forties, I'm officially wading through them and it feels damn strange. How on earth did I get to be 41 years old? *shudder* On the other hand, I suppose I prefer this to having no 41st birthday at all. That would suck.

And speaking of sucking, as many of you know, I'm currently hoarding money for a condo. It's a monster goal for a single gal in Southern California, but I'm doing my best. I was once in terrible debt but I've since pulled myself out of that hole and am now building a nice nest egg to put down on a place of my own. (Yea me!) I'm getting so good at saving that I really don't splurge on much except fun dinners with friends, crafting supplies and movies. What can I say? I'm a simple girl. I do, however, allow myself an extra frivolous treat when I am gifted cash or when a bonus comes through from work. Even then, I only spend a small portion of the money and tuck the rest away or buy tires for my greedy car. Here is what I bought for myself with some of my birthday money:


Yes, that's right, I bought a pile of comfort films and a couple of books. I heart Bette Davis and Now Voyager is one of my all time favorites. I love to watch Bette Davis go from a dowdy, depressed, spinster to glamorous, world traveler by simply shaping her eyebrows. *sigh* It's pure heaven. I saw that Now Voyager was bundled with four other super-fun Bette Davis films and I was sold. I also happen to love Baby Boom and Working Girl. Hmm, I'm just realizing that all three of these films happen to tell the tale of a single women kicking ass. I think I'm beginning to see a trend here. Well, anyway, you can bet that this weekend, between baking this cake and working on my Halloween costume, I'll be watching these single ladies kick some butt all over my Sony Triniton. Wooooo dog-gay. I can't wait!!!

No comments: