Sunday, December 9

Conversations with a five-year-old


Today was my niece's 6th birthday party. It had a High School Musical theme so I showed up early so she could open her High School Musical Sing It! Playstation 2 video game. Her mom and I figured we'd get it hooked up and ready to go for the girls as they arrived. It seemed to be a hit. It's amazing how much 5-11 year olds LOVE to sing. I was also impressed that my sis-in-law could sing-along while testing the game. Too funny!

Later, my college roommate showed up with her daughter, Meghan. I love Meghan because she has the temperament that I had as a five-year-old. She's sort of on the shy side and likes to know a few people in the room. Her mom was dropping her off so she brought Meghan over to me and said "Lucy will be here. If you want me to pick you up early, just tell Lucy and she'll call mommy." Meghan nodded and trotted off to the party. My sis-in-law and I have known Meghan since birth. She and my niece have been friend's their whole lives but there were around 15 girls singing and dancing so I kept an eye on Meghan. I could completely relate to what she must have been feeling.

Near the end of the party, the adults came in with the cake. Meghan rushed over to me and held my hand. We ate birthday cake together and chatted:

Meghan: Why aren't you married?
Lucy: Well, I just haven't met a nice boy yet.
Meghan: ...
Lucy: Do you know any?
Meghan: (Giving this question some careful thought) Well, there's Tanner.
Lucy: Tanner? That's a nice name. He sounds cute.
Meghan: ... but he's little.
Lucy: Would you marry him some day?
Meghan: Ewwwww! That would be GROSS!!!
Lucy: Well, then I'm not gonna marry him.
Meghan: Well, I'm not gonna marry him!

Poor Tanner. I'm sure he's a very nice young man but it seems he's not marrying me or Meghan any time soon.

No comments: