Wednesday, December 19

'Tis the season


I wasn't exactly tagged for this, but Shandon answered these on her blog. I liked the questions, so I thought I'd give it a try.


Wrapping paper or gift bags?

Both, but wrapping paper whenever possible.


Real tree or artificial?

Real. I'd miss the scent of pine too much to have a fake.


When do you put up the tree?

Right around Mom's b-day, mid-December.


When do take the tree down?

It's usually gone by January 2nd. We're pretty harsh about ending the season.


Do you like eggnog?

No. It may be the name but the texture also leaves a lot to be desired.


Favorite gift received as a child?

It's a toss up between my my yellow 10-speed bike (around age 9) or my blue beach cruiser (around age 14). I loved those bikes.


Do you have a nativity scene?

Yes. It belonged to my Grandparents when they were first married. Back when Grandma was happy. Mostly I like to set it up because it reminds my of my spazzy brother who broke the head off baby Jesus. I glued it back on but the crack is still there. It seems most little brother's have broken the head off poor baby Jesus at some time or another.


Hardest person to buy for?

Probably my Dad. He buys everything he wants when he wants and his interests are in things I know nothing about (wine & birding).


Easiest person to buy for?

Probably my niece and nephew. They're not easy but they tend to have an open book policy when it comes to gift receiving and that helps.


Worst Christmas gift ever received?

A felt and sequined horse head brooch from my step Grandma. She was such a sweet lady but gave dreadful gifts. Her gifts were so bad that opening the box from Olga eentually became a highlight for us each Christmas. Oh, the anticipation mixed with... the horror... the horror.


Mail or email Christmas cards?

Are we seriously considering emailing cards now? I'm afraid I have a problem with that. Not so much in the business world, but personally it's got to be mailed cards. I realize it's not the best thing for the environment but some traditions should not be messed with. Holiday card sending it one of those traditions.


Favorite Christmas movie?

It's a Wonderful Life. It still makes me cry and it reminds me of Christmas Eve because it's always airing somewhere on Christmas Eve. I also LOVE A Christmas Story. It never fails to make me laugh.


When do you start shopping for Christmas?

August or so. September is when birthday season starts in my family. Shopping in August is the smart way to go.


Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?

See's candy. Come on... who are we kidding.


Clear lights or colored on the tree?

Clear, but I'm not married to the idea.


Favorite Christmas song?

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas


Do you have an angel or a star on top?

Angel


Travel at Christmas or stay home?

Home


Can you name Santa's reindeer?

Yes


Most annoying thing about this time of year?

Most all humanity.


Favorite Christmas memory?

Sneaking into the darkened living room, super early Christmas morning, to see what Santa brought me. I recall a Chrissy doll and a tea set that year. I must have been about 4 or 5 years old. I went back to bed after seeing my haul. It was a good Christmas.


Favorite thing about this time of year?

Taking time off to relax and spend time with my family and friends.

No comments: