Monday, December 31

More tv tips


Anyone who reads this or knows me, knows that I love Jane Austen and I love PBS. The two are getting together for The Complete Jane Austen every Sunday night from January to March. What does this mean? It means I've apparently died and gone to heaven. Masterpiece Theater will air great interpretations of all six of Miss Austen's novels beginning January 13th with Persuasion. What a great kick off! Persuasion is a favorite because it's a quiet one that slowly builds. One of Austen's most famous lines comes from Persuasion: "You pierce my soul." Out of context, it sounds a bit over the top and flowery, but when hastily written by Captain Wentworth, in the greatest love letter EVER, and secretly given to Anne Elliot well ... swoon. It's all so good!

In the mean time they are airing Charlotte Bronte's gothic great Jane Eyre. The first half aired last night, and was wonderful, the second airs next Sunday night. If you're not a fan of Austen or Bronte I still encourage you to watch these, you may be converted. I got the DVD of the Masterpiece Theater version of Jane Eyre for Christmas and love it. I also own the famed BBC version of Pride & Prejudice, that will air in the series, and will be watching again because who can get enough of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy? Several of the film versions being shown in this series are new to me and I'm really looking forward to seeing them for the first time. (Here is the schedule.)


Oh, and in an apparent effort to extend an olive branch after their Thanksgiving day freak out, the SciFi Channel is airing a real marathon of The Twilight Zone today and tomorrow. I can only imagine the earful they got last month and assume this is an effort to create a New Year's Eve tradition. I'm still mad at them but I'll take what I can get. Tune in!

No comments: