Monday, April 24

The agony of defeat


My Dad gave me this beautiful torch lamp for Christmas a couple of years ago.

Well, I moved things around recently and finally cut the warning label off the electrical cord. For some reason I stopped to read it (probably because I was exhausted from moving furniture and cleaning out my dreadful closet). Imagine my delight when I got to the final warning.
I'm sure it's too small to read but allow me to fill you in. After going on and on about the blades being different sizes and warning the user not to force the plug it warns: "Do not attempt to defeat this safety feature."

I'm sorry but the word "defeat" in this context is just damn funny. I enjoyed this so much because I immediately imagined Darth Vader, Saddam Hussein or some other fallen villain as a copy writer somewhere and it just made me laugh. Do you think there is some dictator wannabe out there somewhere writing text for warning labels? While the most obvious explanation is that some poor soul with a weak grasp on the English language was asked to write this, I prefer my tortured villain idea so much more.


3 comments:

Norman said...

Resistance is futile!

shandon said...

And you'll probably face prosecution for cutting off that warning label!

Will said...

saftey feature, I WILL DESTROY YOU!!!