Wednesday, February 28

Your reality check just bounced


I'm not sure if I've mentioned my intern interviews before but they were awful. The USC students were the worst. I don't care if you're a big USC fan, I'm here to tell you those kids are the most self obsessed, entitled fools I've ever met. They literally walked in asking if they would be negotiating contracts. Did I mention I work for a fortune 500 company? Were they kidding? They walked in with an attitude that said "I got a degree. I've paid my dues. Give me my job." It was bizarre. During the interviews I saw lots of ridiculous behaviour. One kid slouched so far down in his seat I thought he'd slide to the floor. A young woman realized I was low man on the totem pole and ignored me throughout the interview and spoke only to my Director. This was a HUGE mistake. It annoyed my Director much more than me. Another kid claimed to have single handedly resolved the whole "race issue" on campus. Really? That's fascinating. Maybe we should just drop you off in South Central and see what you can do about the whole "gang issue". Better yet, here's a ticket to Iraq. Let us know how it works out for you.

I bring all of this up because yesterday the LA Times ran an article about Generation Y. Apparently there is such a thing as too much self esteem.

I've met a few representatives from Gen Y and, as you can probably guess, they bug the hell out of me. I'm pretty sure they are the idiots text messaging throughout the movie I'm trying to watch. Do they think that beacon of light coming from their phone is invisible? They've also decided talking on the phone is acceptable behavior in a theater. Someone needs to tell them we aren't impressed with their over active thumbs and that the world is not their mother's living room.

I recently watched a table of teens fiddle with their phones while they ate and barely acknowledged one other. What's the point of going to lunch if you're just going to ignore one another?

Guess I"m getting old. I just don't get it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. The entitlement is annoying.