Tuesday, June 3

Staying sane


Isn't she fabulous? I saw this image on a postcard a while back and had to have it. She's been staring down at me from a bulletin board ever since. I just love her. I love that look and try to keep it in mind while at work. Who would dare question you with a look like that on your face?! The painting is called The Shawl and was painted by Charles Sprague Pearse in 1900. Thanks for the great painting, Chuck! I need to be looking at a confident young lady these days.

I'm still in the dark as to my future at work. Nobody is getting laid-off but it's still a bit stressful. We typically hear lots of rumors by this time but this re-org is different. I've been trying to have the whole New Earth attitude and live in the moment. I'm doing my best to not think about the past or the future but only the now. While this is easier said than done I must admit it has helped keep me calm.

In another effort to remain calm, I spent about 4 intense hours at work today doing some God awful forensic accounting. For ages now I've had a lovely little $350 credit on my corporate credit card. I tried to figure out where it came from a while ago but eventually lost interest. I even called accounting and asked if anyone could help me straighten it out. They said "No, but you should really try to figure it out on your own." I replied "Umm, and what exactly is my incentive to do so?" I know , it was a sort of bratty response but honestly... a job like that could take days of productive time from my working life. Besides, I could hear the shrug on the the other end of the call. Needless to say, I left the credit there and didn't worry too much about it. As you may have guessed, I'm not the best bookkeeper especially with my corporate account. I expense everything carefully and on time and the bills keep getting paid. We're all happy. Except today I realized I had about a $1,400 payment due and I didn't really know where it would be coming from. Bummer! I organized statements and expense reports and eventually found a bunch of stupid mistakes on my part. I'll be an expensing fool tomorrow! You see, busy work is keeping me sane these days.

I'm going to NYC next week and get to see my old car pool buddy who recently moved to London. I've been receiving hints to transfer there myself. Hmm. Now that would be exciting. Last week my VP asked me if I'd consider going to the UK office. I told him yes but that, at my level (Manager), I wasn't sure the perks offered would be enough to support a decent move and lifestyle. He looked at me thoughtfully then agreed that I had an excellent point. Of course, it sure would be nice to be paid in pounds instead of dollars for a while. Well, we'll see what my new job looks like and I'll decide then if I need to be making any kind of crazy-ass moves.

I'll keep y'all posted.

No comments: