Sunday, December 17

Good the bad and the ugly


Today I witnessed the good the bad and the ugly of the holiday season.

The good was watching my niece and nephew in their church Christmas program. The kids couldn't be cuter. The bad was from me. The second my nephew got up in front of everyone I caught his eye and received a smile. In return I pointed my finger at him and mouthed "Don't laugh! Doooon't laugh." He struggled to keep from busting up. I kept this up throughout his performance. I finally stopped when it seemed one of us really might lose it. The ugly came later when I was at the grocery store picking up ingredients for White Chocolate Cherry Chunkies. The lady in front of me was apparently outraged that the promoted sale price on her item wasn't ringing up properly. Instead of asking for the manager, she raged "I'll show you the sign!" then stomped off to get it. Luckily the check out girl didn't seem to care. In fact, she seemed accustomed to it. I, on the other hand, couldn't believe the temper tantrum that ensued when the woman returned with the sign. She banged it down on the counter and said "Here!" The check out girl simply said "I'll scan it again for you." The woman replied "I don't have all day." and stomped off out the door. I would have said something but the meanie left in such a hurry. All I could think was "I'm sorry your family takes you for granted and that you've spent your day doing things nobody asked you to do. Good luck with the martyr routine." Whatever.

The good I saw today outnumbered the the ugly by far. While Kenny G (the bad) wailed out Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas over the store speakers, a shopper loudly sang "CHRISTMAS" when Kenny got to it in his rendition. Later, I smiled at a boy who was standing at the door at Trader Joe's because he was bowing to each shopper as they left saying "Good afternoon. (b0w) Good afternoon. (bow) Good afternoon. (bow)"

In keeping with the good, bad and ugly theme of the day, I'm now watching Beauty and the Beast. I haven't seen it in years and it's as good as I remember.

No comments: