Wednesday, December 20

Trooper, this one's for you


After I discovered that fabu Jennifer Holiday clip on Youtube I've been searching for other Broadway performances. I've found several clips from past Tony Award shows. I've also found some clearly bootlegged clips taken from live shows like this one. While I'd be really annoyed at if I were seated next to someone filming a live performance I sure do like seeing these captured in some way.

This tore me up when I saw it on the Tony Awards. Later that year I made it my all time first Broadway show. I cried throughout. Not only because of the story, but because I couldn't believe I was finally sitting in a Broadway theater seeing such a quintessential Broadway show. It blew me away.

Wicked is also a big deal to me. I was lucky enough to see Edina sing this while I sat in the second row. I was with my boss and had been raving about the music for ages. After this song she leaned over and said "Holy shit!" Although, Edina was better when I saw her live this is still a good clip. (Maybe she was nervous.)

I didn't get to see Sutton Foster perform this but whoever toured in LA was fantastic. Gimme Gimme starts out slowly but builds into an honest to God showstopper. It also made me misty because it's performed alone on a stage under a spotlight. That kind of talent always gets to me. (Sorry about the poor quality of the clip.) This is also a great song from Thoroughly Modern Millie (one of my favorite shows). Let's just say you really don't want to be driving behind me while I'm singing along to this one during my morning commute. I can not only sing all but the very end but I like to try the tap dancing. It doesn't really work in traffic. Trust me.

One of the funniest shows I've seen. (Recognize the Lady of the Lake?) This one may have made me laugh even harder.

Another fun show.

Here's one Annie... and another who's all grown up. (Do you think she's sick of that song yet?)

Tony sang Bring Him Home at a Desert Storm benefit concert and tore the roof off.

I have no idea when or where this aired, but I likey. (another "One" I like to listen to in traffic.)

I haven't seen this one but I hear from several friends that it's great. Bad name, great show. I never saw this either but saw this on a Broadway highlights show and loved it.

Here's one I'm looking forward to seeing in '07. (Click on "Videos" then "Watch Now.")


And to round it out, here's some Fosse on film. So fabulous.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you...and I'm definitely going to share this post with my straight "gay husband"! :-)

Anonymous said...

Nice Blog, some interesting info and thoughts, a bit radical for me at times but thats ok.