Monday, June 5

The slut of all time


I watched Butterfield 8 last night. I hadn't seen it before but knew Elizabeth Taylor won an Oscar for the performance. Before the film, Robert Osgoode mentioned that Ms. Taylor hated the script but did it to wrap up her contract with MGM so she could go make Cleopatra. When she first screened B8 she is said to have thrown a drink at the screen in disgust (God, just once I'd like to dramatically throw a drink against the wall...) Ms. Taylor thought B8 was "trampy" and cheap ... that may be but it's great stuff!! Her then current husband, Eddie Fisher, is in B8 but we all know what happened to Eddie after Liz met Richard Burton on the set of Cleo.

Here are my favorite lines from Butterfield 8:

A not so considerate husband says to his wife: "On the surface she was all sex and devil may care." (Umm, buddy, you better shut up now.)

...and then possibly the best line of all:
"I'm going out looking for my pride alone, when I find it, if you're still here, I'll come back and we'll see if it still has any value for either of us." SO GREAT!

IMBD calls out another classic: "Mama, face it: I was the slut of all time!" I tried saying this to Mom this morning and she pretended to slap me just like in the film. Once again...ya gotta love Mom.

If you haven't seen B8, check it out. It's not my favorite but Liz looks great and the era IS one of my faves.

Some other great recommendations are on Abnorman's blog.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Norman said...

Your mother should have really committed to the role and slapped you for real.

Thanks for the shout-out!